Summer has arrived in the Pacific Northwest, and that means it’s time for a busy calendar of summer activities in Tacoma and on the Point Ruston Waterwalk.
For outdoor athletes, the summer calendar holds a number of sporting events, like 5k runs and kayaking events. Major sports enthusiasts are excited about the U.S. Open Golf Tournament that happened just this last weekend. And, foodie fans can look forward to the Taste of Tacoma! The combination of spectacular summer weather, Tacoma’s beautiful natural scenery, and the water views from the Grand Plaza at Point Ruston give onlookers good reason to get excited about summer in Tacoma.
There are also many cultural and entertainment events on the summer calendar, many of which are centered around the waterfront and Waterwalk area of Point Ruston. Here are the more prominent events for the Tacoma area.
- June 15, 2015 – This marks the first day for the opening of the water-related Metro Parks playgrounds, spraygrounds and parks. From this day onward, the water fun areas are open all summer long to parents, grandparents and kids.
- June 26-28, 2015: The last weekend in June kicks off the Taste of Tacoma and it’s the 30-year anniversary of the best food fest in the region (Sorry, Bite). A lot of food and music, family fun and other entertainment are all part of the Taste of Tacoma, hosted in Point Defiance Park. For a full listing of all the activities, visit the official Taste of Tacoma website.
- July 4, 2015: The Point Ruston neighborhood celebrates the Independence Day holiday with the Point Ruston – Independence Day 5K run at the Waterwalk at Point Ruston. The race is a flat, mostly downhill foot race that’s as much fun to watch as it is to run. Interested runners can click here for more info.
- July 4, 2015: Get ready for gorgeous fireworks and the Tacoma Freedom Fair, along with an air show all along the Ruston Way waterfront. It’s an amazing way to celebrate our freedom!
- July 18-19, 2015: The Tacoma Maritime Fest is on Saturday and Sunday this year. It’s an annual event that celebrates the history and wonder of the Tacoma waterfront. Best of all, it’s free and open to everyone. Visitors to the Maritime Fest can expect to see fun, hands-on showcases of all that the Tacoma waterfront offers, from boating and paddling, to discovering more about people who make a living on the water. The kids are taken care of, too, with free activities, live music, and entry to the Foss Waterway Seaport Museum.
- Indoor classes for arts and crafts enthusiasts, outdoor activity classes and more are on the horizon from the start of the summer months into August, and beyond. Find your favorite activity in the Go Tacoma Summer Guide, produced by Metro Parks Tacoma.
- September 11-13, 2015: There are more big-name golfers coming to Tacoma, and you can play alongside them. The event is called “Play with the Pros” and it’s a chance for amateur golfers to compete with top PNW pro golfers for a share of $50,000.
- September 13, 2015: Tacoma will finish off the summer with a rolling party for cyclists, walkers, runners, skateboarders. They’ll travel along a stretch from the Tacoma Dome to Point Defiance Park.
There’s far more to do in Tacoma this summer than could be included here. To learn more about summer activities, check the News Tribune and Tacoma Weekly websites to keep you up to date. Or, just check back periodically over the summer at the Point Ruston Events page to find new activities added throughout the summer.